Kyocera wins CEATEC Award for “Amcenna” IoT Antenna
Innovative technology yields compact antenna that solves performance challenges when mounted on metals or near water
November 14, 2018
Kyoto/London – Kyocera announced that its Amcenna IoT antenna has received Japan’s Minister of Internal Affairs and Communications Award. Amcenna, a compact antenna that performs well even when mounted on metals or near water, was recognized during the 2018 CEATEC Awards, organized by CEATEC JAPAN 2018 — one of Asia’s largest IT and electronics tradeshows.
Kyocera’s Amcenna Technology Innovations
To create Amcenna, Kyocera miniaturized an Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) and integrated an antenna function into the AMC itself. The result is an exceptionally thin, compact antenna that can operate in close proximity to metals or water with no loss of performance. In combination with its compact form factor (7.0×13.6×1.9mm at 2.4GHz), Amcenna’s unique performance can allow IoT devices to be installed in a wider range of applications — including on manufacturing equipment, on metallic automotive body panels, and in wearable devices, to name just a few examples.
Radio waves experience a 180-degree phase shift when reflected by metals. Consequently, waves emitted from an antenna can be canceled by radio waves reflected from the metal. Traditional solutions have involved using an AMC and a separate antenna to interrupt reflection but this method impedes miniaturization. In designing Amcenna, Kyocera sought to create a new type of antenna that can be miniaturized significantly while solving these performance challenges.
Inspired by three-fold mirrors, Kyocera’s proprietary Amcenna design produces an AMC consisting of just a few cells electromagnetically equivalent to an infinite periodic structure. This approach reduced surface area to 1/60 as compared to Kyocera prototype antenna using conventional AMC technology. Amcenna will support miniaturized applications, such as wearable devices, while experiencing no performance degradation when mounted on metals or near water.
Kyocera plans to develop Amcenna-based solutions for a wide range of applications, including IoT systems for manufacturing sites, wearable technology and other IoT innovations.
About the 2018 CEATEC Awards
The 2018 CEATEC Awards recognize outstanding technologies, products, and services from among exhibits at the CEATEC JAPAN 2018 tradeshow. Based on academic, technological, and marketability criteria, the Award Review Panel evaluated entry exhibits and selected for recognition those deemed to be most innovative and sophisticated. This year marks the 8th of the awards.
For more information on KYOCERA: www.kyocera.eu
Contact for more information:
Mr. Kenichi Hara
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- Kyocera to Acquire Advanced Ceramic Business of Germany-based Friatec GmbH
- Kyocera to Acquire SouthernCarlson, Inc., a US-based Distributor of Fasteners, Tools, and Packaging
- Kyocera Display Europe GmbH becomes Kyocera Automotive and Industrial Solutions GmbH
- Approval of Kyocera’s Acquisition of the Ownership of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH complete
- Kyocera Document Solutions unveils a renewed brand identity – aligned with the iconic company’s vision for the years ahead
- Kyocera to Build New Facility in Shiga, Japan to Produce Automated Equipment for “Smart Factory”
- Kyocera is set to exhibit at Ceramics UK
- Kyocera set to present its innovations - cordierite and many other fine ceramic components - at this year’s Hannover Messe
- Kyocera and LO3 ENERGY to Demonstrate Blockchain-Managed Virtual Power Plant
- Kyocera Named Among Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics
- Kyocera to Acquire 100% Ownership of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH, a Germany-based Manufacturer of Advanced Ceramics
- Sharp and sustainable: Kyocera presents its high-quality knives in new packaging
- Kyocera Receives Japan’s Environment Minister’s Award for Record 9th Consecutive Year
- Kyocera to Participate in Self-Driving Bus Test Project on JR East BR Lines
- Innovative, durable, and beautiful: Kyocera presents high-quality kitchen tools demonstrating the advantages of its ceramic technology at the BBC Good Food Show in Birmingham from November 29 – December 2, 2018.