KYOCERA introduces reliable, Waterproof Branch Connector for harsh conditions of automotive electronics
Sheltap® clamshell-style connector is designed to withstand water-pressure and extreme temperature; helps streamline auto assembly workflow
October 26, 2018
Kyoto/London – Kyocera today introduced a new clamshell-style branch connector for automotive electronics that features a unique locking structure for waterproof connections, ensuring reliability in harsh conditions. The new Sheltap 9715 Series Waterproof Electronic Branch Connector was shown for the first time at CEATEC JAPAN 2018 (Booth #H009), October 16-19. Samples are now available upon request.
|Product name||Sheltap 9715 Series Waterproof Electronic Branch Connector|
|Application||Branching Electronic Wiring for Automotive Equipment|
|Sample Shipment Date||October 3, 2018|
Waterproof, able to withstand high-pressure washing
A branch connector is used to install electronic equipment, such as a navigation system or dashboard camera, by branching power from the vehicle’s main wiring harness. Since Kyocera introduced its original 9215 series branch connectors in 1992, the products have been lauded for providing reliable connections while streamlining assembly and installation workflow through their unique clamshell structure. In 2014, Kyocera became an early developer of connectors for aluminum wiring to support weight-saving initiatives among automakers. Rapid adoption of advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) and other automotive electronics has created new demand for connectors that can withstand harsh environments, including the vehicle exterior and direct exposure to the elements in all weather conditions.
Kyocera designed the Sheltap branch connector series to provide a high level of waterproof functionality and reliability — successfully passing the high-pressure washing and high-temperature exposure testing of the JASO*1 D616 standards, which evaluate wire harness connectors with specially designed enclosures and sealant materials for automotive applications. Kyocera’s Sheltap series connectors embody the company’s commitment to supporting the rapid advancement of electronic technologies in diverse markets, including automotive, shipping, and outdoor security / camera-monitoring applications.
Key Features: Sheltap® 9715 Series Waterproof Branch-Style Electronic Connectors
1. Unique Lock Structure Ensures Reliable Waterproofing and Ability to Withstand Extreme Temperatures
By combining a unique housing lock structure with sealant materials, the new connectors are able to meet JASO D616 standards for high waterproofing and reliability in automotive components. The Sheltap series connectors can also operate in extreme temperatures from -40 to +85 °C (185 °F).
2. Weight Reduction: Connects Aluminum Wiring, 40% Lighter Than Copper Wire
The products are designed to meet the special interconnection requirements of aluminum wiring, which is 40 percent lighter than copper wire, and increasingly seen as a key to meeting vehicle weight-reduction goals.
3. Improves Reliability and Ease of Use
The new waterproof connectors are easy to assemble – simply insert the wires and apply pressure. The connector keeps wires in place for excellent workflow, instantly providing a reliable connection with a waterproof seal.
4. Environmentally friendly products, RoHS compliant
Advanced technologies play an important role in realizing a comfortable life for everyone. Kyocera introduces various unique products that make people’s lives more convenient and comfortable. Sensor devices capable of measuring vital signs help create a pleasant environment for everyone and contribute to preventive medical care, and IoT units compatible with LPWA for use in a variety of applications will be on display.
*1 Japanese Automotive Standards Organization
|Applicable wire||Copper: AVSS0.5, CAVS0.5, CIVUS0.5|
Aluminum: ALVUS0.75, ALVUS0.5, ALVSSH0.5
|Rated current||AC/DC 9A/Contact (Copper Wire 0.5mm2, Aluminum Wire 0.75 mm2)|
AC/DC 8A/Contact (Aluminum Wire 0.5 mm2)
|Rated voltage||AC/DC 125V Contact|
|D.W. Voltage||AC 1,000Vrms/min.|
|Operating temperature range||-40 to +85 °C (185 °F)|
For more information on KYOCERA: www.kyocera.eu
Kyocera’s Sheltap series of branch-style electronic connectors are engineered for automotive use. The clamshell design allows Sheltap connectors to branch and distribute electricity easily and with long-term reliability, even in harsh environments.
Sheltap is registered trademarks of Kyocera in Japan, U.S.A., China, and Europe
Contact for technical information:
Mr. Masaki Kobayashi
Contact for journalists
Manager Corporate Communications
Contact for product information
- Kyocera Display Europe GmbH becomes Kyocera Automotive and Industrial Solutions GmbH
- Approval of Kyocera’s Acquisition of the Ownership of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH complete
- Kyocera Document Solutions unveils a renewed brand identity – aligned with the iconic company’s vision for the years ahead
- Kyocera to Build New Facility in Shiga, Japan to Produce Automated Equipment for “Smart Factory”
- Kyocera is set to exhibit at Ceramics UK
- Kyocera set to present its innovations - cordierite and many other fine ceramic components - at this year’s Hannover Messe
- Kyocera and LO3 ENERGY to Demonstrate Blockchain-Managed Virtual Power Plant
- Kyocera Named Among Derwent Top 100 Global Innovators by Clarivate Analytics
- Kyocera to Acquire 100% Ownership of H.C. Starck Ceramics GmbH, a Germany-based Manufacturer of Advanced Ceramics
- Sharp and sustainable: Kyocera presents its high-quality knives in new packaging
- Kyocera Receives Japan’s Environment Minister’s Award for Record 9th Consecutive Year
- Kyocera to Participate in Self-Driving Bus Test Project on JR East BR Lines
- Innovative, durable, and beautiful: Kyocera presents high-quality kitchen tools demonstrating the advantages of its ceramic technology at the BBC Good Food Show in Birmingham from November 29 – December 2, 2018.
- Inamori Foundation Awards the 34th Kyoto Prize to Scientists and Artist in the Fields of "Advanced Technology", "Basic Science", and "Arts and Philosophy"
- Kyocera wins CEATEC Award for “Amcenna” IoT Antenna